On 26.05.2014, at 21:08, Christopher Orr <ch...@orr.me.uk> wrote:

> You often hear people say "the Jenkins UI is bad", but it's usually said that
> there's a lack of concrete examples of *why* it's bad.

Wait, people complain but cannot provide concrete examples? Let me!

- Jenkins uses very long forms that also change contents (collapsing/expanding
elements) without indication what changed (e.g. animation, highlighting),
whichmakes it quite difficult to keep track where you are.

- Inserting a new 'first' build step above half a dozen existing ones is really
cumbersome. As is reordering build steps in general, as they tend to be rather
tall in some plugins. Hiding everything in Advanced sections by default (see
above) also doesn't help when it's a bunch of 30-50 line scripts.

- Since elements have no obvious borders (unless dragging, or hovering the
delete item), it's difficult to see where one element ends and another starts
(Conditional Build Step, I'm looking at you!)

- The Save/Apply area has a fuzzy "border" making it difficult to tell whether
it's time to scroll when trying to edit a text field near it. You can see form
elements, but not click them, because there's a low opacity white overlay over
the white input field on white background.

- It's possible to save forms with errors. Either you get a stack trace (not
good) or the system accepts your input, breaking something a long way down the
road (worse). Or nothing breaks and you wonder what is going on with the
obviously broken input validation.

- Important UI elements are not available in the model-link context menu
because they're not in the side panel (notably disable/enable project and mark
slave offline/online).

- Jenkins cannot decide whether it's designed for a large screen (Matrix auth
table with a plugin or two installed fits barely on 2560 wide screen) or not
(400x300 load statistics until a few versions ago). User input can make content
too wide for other users (content-controlled width of syntax-highlighted text
fields).

- It doesn't tell you which of the dozens of input fields were modified in a
lengthy form you had open for a while. At least since 1.538 or so it tells you
that you _probably_ changed something before navigating away, but still,
starting over from scratch -- redoing everything I wanted to do, to prevent
accidental changes -- is a common occurrence for me.

- The first run experience is pretty weird if you look at it with some Jenkins
experience. It just dumps you onto an empty page telling you to create a job,
while only a completely different page shows a severe warning (no security),
and the global config requires changes (Jenkins URL, mail server, ...) or
otherwise things won't work right.