On 07.08.2014, at 22:36, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think what we are after is 3 tiers:
>
> - first class UX (we should aim to proactively fix these browsers and provide
> an equal UX across all) - UI testing failures here are considered major UI
> bugs
> - best effort UX (we will accept patches to fix issues and attempt to ensure
> there is at least one way to do any action with these browsers) - UI testing
> failures here are only considered major bugs if they completely block
> functionality, if the UX degrades but remains functional or if there is
> another way to do it, then it's a minor bug
> - no guarantees - no UI testing - UI bugs closed as will not fix
>
> So IE 11 should be first class, say IE 8 or 9 is best effort and IE 7 and
> below is no guarantees

This looks like a good approach. Except maybe still accept patches for 'no
guarantees', if it's simple enough and doesn't impact supported browsers, with
no commitment to keep them working.

Given Microsoft's recent announcement[1] and negligible Vista market share[2],
we should be able to drop IE8+9 from 'best effort' sooner rather than later.

Suggestions for first class UX in other browsers (in case this is ever
relevant):
* For regular Chrome and Firefox, working in the latest major release should be
enough: It'll take changes ~2 weeks (for regular releases) to at least ~8 weeks
(LTS) to reach users, which should be enough to update the browser to its
latest & greatest.
* Firefox ESR support shouldn't be too much effort, given they're never older
than ~1 year (Firefox 24 ESR was released September 2013 and is currently being
replaced by Firefox 31 ESR).
* 90+% of OS X users seem to be able[3] to have at least Safari 6.1[4]
* No support for alpha/beta/canary releases. Make this explicit.

What about Android, iOS, Windows Phone?

1:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/07/stay-up-to-date-with-internet-explorer.aspx
2: