Hi.

I'm interested in hearing how people would feel about a change to how the
BuildHistory widget handles build histories where there are 100s or 1000s
of builds. As JENKINS-26445
<https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-26445> discusses, the
performance of this widget can stink if there are a huge number of builds.

Currently if there are more than 40 or so builds, the widget adds a
"More..." link to the bottom. The user can press that link and Jenkins will
attempt to render ALL of the builds on that Job, even if there are 1000s of
them. This seems insane to me. I propose changing it to support a
pagination type mechanism where you get "Prev", "Next" and "Top" buttons on
the widget and only ever display 40'ish builds at a time.

This would obviously mean that you will only track the top/head of the
build history if you are on "page 1". If you move to the next page (e.g.
builds 450 down to 400), then you stop tracking the top of the history
(similar to how the changelog tracking stops once you move away from the
tail). This might seem like the loss of an important feature but as I see
it, we can't have it both ways i.e. a responsive BuildHistory widget that
can also handle an unlimited number of builds all at once.

Thoughts...

Regards,

Tom.