The groovy script executed by Groovy Postbuild does not run on Matrix
parent if this Post build publisher comes from a template project.
There is an issue for this:
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27317

I order for the script to run on my several hundred jobs I would have to
duplicate this script under each job. Maintenance would be a nightmare.

Thankfully Execute System Groovy script could load the script from a file,
thus I solve my script duplication problem. It exposes some of the same
variables as Groovy Postbuild, such as the current build. However I cannot
get the script to run only on Matrix parent

Build -> Execute System Groovy script -> Script command
import hudson.matrix.MatrixBuild;
import hudson.matrix.MatrixRun;

if (build instanceof MatrixRun) {
  println "MatrixRun child"
} else if (build instanceof MatrixBuild) {
  println "MatrixBuild parent"
}
It seems it only runs on each matrix build configurations (childs).