On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where was the discussion on this? I couldn't find it anywhere in
> jenkins.2015-01-07-19.01.log.html or jenkins.2015-01-21-19.01.log.html

Not sure why you are looking at logs in January! According to

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/LTS+Release+Line

the next baseline is picked around the time 1.596.3 is released.

The RC was posted on Apr 05, meaning the release should have been on
Apr 19/20. Clearly that did not happen; maybe Kohsuke just forgot?

Picking a baseline generally happens during a project meeting, which
is not for another week, though I suppose it could be done on the dev
list as well.

> /me hoping for 1.607+ or 1.610 ideally

/me hoping for 1.607+ definitely, or 1.609+ ideally, and if not 1.610+
then I certainly have some `lts-candidate`s I will push for.

I have complained about this to Kohsuke privately but perhaps others
are affected too: it would be really helpful if the upcoming LTS
baseline were decided (*) well in advance, so that people writing APIs
would know when those changes would actually be available for use from
plugins with LTS dependencies (as is usually preferred). As it stands,
for workflow-plugin I have the master branch on 1.596.x, a branch
using APIs from 1.599+ intended for the next LTS, a branch on top of
that branch (!) using 1.609+ which may or may not be in the next LTS,
and an unrelated branch using 1.607+ which will probably be in the
next LTS but I am not sure. I cannot collapse these branches without
running the risk that the LTS will be earlier than 1.609 and I will
have to revert some of my changes and put them back in a branch. It
would be a lot less work, and merge conflicts, if I knew in advance
what I was going to get in May, and could plan accordingly. Indeed my
core changes could be planned with a schedule in mind, and reviewers
could ask for a particularly dangerous-looking PR to be put on hold if
a new baseline were imminent.

Put another way, the current policy is fine if you think of Jenkins
core releases as more or less equivalent, but some more stable than
others according to a couple dozen user ratings, so we might as well
pick a reasonably recent sunny one so fewer regression fixes need to
be backported. It does not work when you think of core as a platform
with APIs that plugin authors are awaiting the delivery of. I realize
that most plugins use rather old core dependencies and are not much
affected, so perhaps mine is a minority complaint.

(*) Since we seem to have replaced the RC system with a policy of
doing multiple 1.xxx releases in a week if warranted, the decision
would be better stated in terms of a date, rather than a version
number.