On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <k...@kohsuke.org> wrote:
> if I were doing this for jenkins.ci.cloudbees.com plugin builds,
> I don't think I want Jenkinsfile in each repository to be able to specify
> the version of DSL library on its own.

Each repository already specifies its parent POM on its own. (Granted
that currently forces a core dependency, but it would be easy to make
`${jenkins.version}` a configurable property.)

> I certainly don't want to update
> Jenkinsfile across 100s of repositories everytime I change my pipeline
> definition for plugins.

I guess you missed my point. It would be both foolish and unnecessary
to batch-update every repository for every change to a DSL or similar
library. “You” would update those repositories whose builds you either
intended to use the new feature/fix, or care to evaluate for
compatibility, preferably in pull requests; and others would
occasionally do the equivalent of `mvn versions:use-latest-releases`,
at their leisure.

At any rate, this is idle talk until I have time to design and write a
PoC of the way I think it needs to work to be fully viable.