On 8 September 2015 at 02:37, Ryanivanka <sarah.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I met a problem that I use thinbackup plugin to backup the jenkins home
> everyday, but if the jenkins server fail and recover, I copy over all the
> jenkins home, including jobs, many plugin xml configuration and secret
> files. The Credentails seems not working, like user name and password saved
> for github, and tokens for github. If I re-input the credentials, I can use
> the new created ones. But all the old ones which recovered from the backup
> file are not working, in some error state.
>
> I search around, http://xn--thibaud-dya.fr/jenkins_credentials.html
>
> *If I understand it right, all the credential is encrypted with random
> key. *So if we create a new jenkins server, we cannot reuse the
> credentials by just copy and paste the secret files. *Am I right?*
>
> *If that's the problem, is there any way I can restore the credentials?
> *because
> I use marathon to re-create jenkins automatically when it fails, if I still
> need to be notified about this and need to reset all the credential
> manually, that sounds like a waste of time.

when you recreate Jenkins you will need to provide the same seed files. I
cannot recall exactly what files are the seed files, but
$JENKINS_HOME/secrets would be where they are stored, you would be safe
just recreating all files from that directory (but obviously keep the
contents of that directory safe or your credentials can be recovered)