I'm not great at explaining in an intro email. =)

It's a new syntax, yes. The intent is to be something closer to a "config"
feel and fit more into how people are used to Freestyle jobs working - a
more structured form with some default assumptions (like that you'd
probably want to send notifications at the end of the build without needing
to wrap everything in a "catchError" or try/catch). This is just an early
version - we'll be adding more functionality, and that functionality will
continue to be Pipeline steps with syntactic sugar/declarative nature to
help make it easier to get started while still giving you the ability to
easily move to traditional Pipeline script syntax.

As I mentioned, we're also doing some nifty stuff, in my opinion, for
validation of the syntax and semantics, either at runtime or against a
Jenkinsfile without even running it (as of next release, there'll be a
shell script you can download that'll take a Jenkins URL and the path to a
Jenkinsfile and proceed to "lint" the Jenkinsfile against that Jenkins
master!) - so less mystifying compilation errors, syntactic/semantic errors
will be reported at the very beginning of the build (all of them throughout
the Jenkinsfile, not just when they're encountered during the build),
etc... Just trying to polish the experience. =)

Down the road, a big part of Pipeline Model Definition syntax is that
there'll be a visual editor for it as part of Blue Ocean - that's still a
ways out, but we've been designing the model around that goal from the very
beginning, so we can translate the model syntax into a JSON representation
and vice versa. I'm curious to see if anyone else ends up building other
things on top of that functionality. =)

Pipeline Model 0.1 was released yesterday, as I said, and it'll be bundled
in the upcoming Blue Ocean beta.

A.