Hi guys,
I'd like to propose that we explicitly set the Java args for the Jenkins
packages to use either Concurrent Mark Sweep or G1 as the default GC
algorithm.

The reason for this is that Jenkins is generally used as a long-running
server process, and large stop-the-world GC pauses can pose a problem for
stability and user experience.   The default Java GC algorithm (ParallelGC)
is tuned to optimize throughput at the expense of potentially multi-second
major GC pauses with large heaps, which is obviously not a good fit for
this case. This is why Oracle is moving to G1 as the default as of Java 9.

I would suggest either CMS or G1 make good defaults for normal Jenkins
users, because they greatly reduce average and maximum GC pause times.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Sam Van Oort