To answer my own question, the issue was that I was trying to access the
Workflow job before Jenkins had properly loaded the extension.

The following change allowed me to create a Workflow job dynamically
*@Initializer(after = InitMilestone.EXTENSIONS_AUGMENTED)*
    public void initProject() {
        try {
            for (final WorkflowJob job :
Util.createSubList(jenkins().getItemMap().values(), WorkflowJob.class)) {
                if (job.getDisplayName().equalsIgnoreCase(projectName())) {
                    workflowJob = job;
                }
            }
            if (workflowJob == null) {
                workflowJob = jenkins().createProject(WorkflowJob.class,
ReleaseManagementPlugin.class.getSimpleName());
            }
        } catch (final Exception ex) {
            throw ReleaseException.builder().with(ex).build();
        }
    }