(replies inline)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, nicolas de loof wrote:

> Something I don't get here is why you need an external evergreen-client to
> manage updates, and can't just get this running from within Jenkins.

This is covered under "Alternative Approaches" here:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/tree/master/jep/301#extending-jenkins-itself

I think that section should help clarify things.

> I also wonder how you manage jenkins.war version here, which is bundled in
> the docker image vs upgrades. Does this mean the image comes with a default
> jenkins.war but won't override when used on an existing JENKINS_HOME ? And
> then upgrading and restarting service won't actually reflect a core upgrade

This is similar to the point which Jesse brought up earlier in the thread, and
the resolution which I am incorporating into JEP-301 is that jenkins/evergreen
should be "small" and just have enough code inside the container to reach out
to the Evergreen hosted service layer and ask for the latest (core + plugins)
before starting Jenkins. Succintly put, this would mean jenkins/evergreen would
not ship with a jenkins.war.

Hope that helps

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F