Well IIUC since the evergreen master (and possibly also agents) are
specially produced docker images where you control how Jenkins starts why
not just provide a custom JUL configuration file? Either via the java
property -Djava.util.logging.config.file=myLoggingConfigFilePath  or just
put it in JDK_HOME/jre/lib/logging.properties in the container.
That way you can get the error logs all the way from jetty startup to the
end.

/B

> One of the necessary details, in my opinion, to make Jenkins Essentials [0]
> successful is providing near-real-time error telemetry. Coupled with the
> "Evergreen" distribution system [1], error telemetry "post-deploy" will be
> absolutely crucial to determine whether or not we have just pushed out bad
> code
> worthy of reverting.
>
> I currently define "error telemetry" to include:
>
>  * Uncaught exceptions which cause the Evil Jenkins 500 page
>  * Logged ERROR messages, with or without exceptions
>  * Logged WARN messages, with or without exceptions
>
> This list is by no means set in stone, and it is expected that there's
> going to
> be some "noise" in the system, so tooling upstream of this error telemetry
> won't be looking for the presence of errors but rather tracking patterns
> over
> time [2].
>

> The big challenge that we have, for which I wanted feedback, is *how* we
> can
> acquire this error telemetry
>

> My first prototype in this area was a plugin which integrates with the
> Sentry[3] error reporting service: https://github.com/jenkinsci/
> sentry-plugin
> This approach basically spins up a background busy-waiting thread which
> loops
> over all the loggers in the JVM, and adds the SentryHandler to loggers.
> Not the
> prettiest solution but it mostly works. There is an opportunity to miss
> logged errors before the SentryHandler is added, but it's hard to quantify
> how
> serious a gap that might be.
>
> I am not /thrilled/ with this approach, but it meets a very important
> criteria in
> that it's non-invasive to core and other plugins and can simply be
> installed in
> a Jenkins instance in order to work.
>

> I wanted to ask for more thoughts on alternative approaches, if they exist,
> which would enable the collection of the error telemetry discussed above.
> I'm
> sure there's something I'm missing.
>

> [0] https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/tree/master/jep/300
> [1] https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/tree/master/jep/300#auto-update
> [2] For example: https://itmonitor.zenoss.com/is-your-performance-normal-
> how-do-you-know/
> [3] https://sentry.io
>

> Cheers
> - R. Tyler Croy

>      Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
>   Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
>      xmpp: rty...@jabber.org
>
>   % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F

*Robert Sandell*
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
[image: CloudBees-Logo.png] <http://www.cloudbees.com/>