On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 4:48 PM, Jeff Wilson <geek.macb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, we basically handle our own multi-threading in the start() command, as
> in this example?

Yes, it is an asynchronous API—the Pipeline runtime tells your step
when to start, and you tell it when it is finished. What you do in the
meantime is your business. Perhaps nothing is happening in Jenkins—you
may simply be passively awaiting a webhook or something.

> Does that change if, within the StepExecution, I want to trigger a BuildStep
> asynchronously?

I do not think you want to do that. `BuildStep.perform` is synchronous
(blocking).

If the only thing you are doing is calling some synchronous Jenkins
APIs, and you cannot get around that easily, then you probably just
want to extend `SynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution`. The step will
then not survive a Jenkins restart—since the underlying API it is
calling could not either.