> On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 3:33 PM, nicolas de loof
> <nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > the exposed yaml model to
> > configure credentials should be defined as part of credential plugin,
> not by
> > me within configuration-as-code.
>
> Well. JCasC likely needs some special handling for `Secret`, which
> `credentials` uses for the actual secrets inside. Beyond that, I agree
> that it makes sense for the specialized binding to ultimately live in
> `credentials-plugin`.

Secret is already supported based on jenkins-core registered stapler
converters.

> But I take issue with two ways this was framed. First of all, there is
> nothing wrong with the design of credentials storage; it is sensible
> given the expected usage model. JCasC makes it easy to autobind
> configuration that lives all in one configuration screen. In this
> case, the UI is divided into different screens with a specialized UI,
> so specialized binding would be needed.

CasC is designed to manage data as a tree, which jenkins UI use to adopt.
But not credentials-plugin relying on Maps and singletons.

> Second, yes it needs to be defined “by you” (well, by whomever is
> striving to get JEP-201 accepted). Credentials are central to Jenkins
> setup and a critical use case for JEP-201. And JEP-201 is a new
> feature, so its developers are responsible for designing and
> implementing appropriate integrations with existing foundational
> components of Jenkins.

I strongly disagree with this. From my perspective JEP-201 is about generic
mechanism to support configuration-as-code without glue code and option for
custom adapters where required. Credentials is for sure a central piece of
Jenkins, like pipeline is, or arguably many other plugins. But it's not
JEP-201 to define how those should be exposed as a configurable data model.
Maybe this should be discussed in a subsequent JEP if you consider this
_that_ important. From my point of view this could be addressed within
credentials plugin taking the decision on the model it want to expose and
provide the required glue-code.