Le mer. 16 mai 2018 à 13:14, James Nord <jn...@cloudbees.com> a écrit :

> So the objection I have is that as it stands in JEP-305 the versions are
> releases and these are expected to be garbage collected.
>
> Anyone also wanting to consume incrementals via a proxy would need to
> write tooling to garbage collect releases and there is also the Maven
> principal that you never garbage collect releases, let alone the impact
> this will have on other pipelines that do canary builds by picking up the
> latest **release** of a artifacts/plugins in order to do bleeding edge
> testing in our pipelines. And that is also discounting the ability once it
> is in our mirror for things to accidentally depend on these releases.

I must confess I had missed reading related IEP-9 when reading JEP-305. I
do agree releases should normally be kept basically forever.
Now nowadays Nexus, for one, had added a dedicated Scheduled Task
<https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager2/configuration/managing-scheduled-tasks>
clean up also releases "Remove Releases From Repository" IIUC (I never used
it myself, but did use a lot the other "Remove Snapshots From Repository").

So yes, this shows IMO a pretty usage of Maven, but it shows at least
people using Nexus (and I suspect Artifactory can do the same) would
normally *not* have to handle that themselves.

Now, about the whole artifact collection idea that I had missed:

* I think this part in IEP-9 could be just ditched overall, for now at
least. As Jesse nicely phrases it below: "until storage costs start to
raise eyebrows". IIUC what Daniel told me once, as it stands currently:
anyway we never ever remove *any* artifacts from Artifactory, SNAPSHOTs are
already kept forever. So I guess the eyebrow would have raised long ago if
this was an issue. OK, this could grow possibly faster once Incrementals
starts to get used more and more, we /might/ want to revisit then.
** (A possible way to revisit could for instance to better differentiate
PRs from merged commits, and maybe more aggressively actually clean up
artifacts coming from PRs).
* Anyway, people using artifacts for in-house purposes would (should) have
put an MRM in place. So they wouldn't even see any issue if an artifact is
ever deleted upstream.
* We must indeed clearly document that people using Incrementals releases
and repository must understand they're adopting a special pattern, and I
guess as this is indeed not exposed automatically behing /public or
/releases, this is an explicit action that one must not do lightly.
  So BTW I think
https://github.com/jenkins-infra/iep/blob/master/iep-009/README.adoc#existing-maven-repository
ought to be completed with a precision saying we *really* must not ever
expose http://repo.jenkins-ci.org/incrementals behind
http://repo.jenkins-ci.org/public or some other virtual group repository.
Keep it separated so that it requires an explicit thinking/action to get
used.

-- Baptiste