(replies inline)

On Thu, 17 May 2018, Baptiste Mathus wrote:

> Le mer. 16 mai 2018 à 13:14, James Nord <jn...@cloudbees.com> a écrit :
>
> > So the objection I have is that as it stands in JEP-305 the versions are
> > releases and these are expected to be garbage collected.
> >
> > Anyone also wanting to consume incrementals via a proxy would need to
> > write tooling to garbage collect releases and there is also the Maven
> > principal that you never garbage collect releases, let alone the impact
> > this will have on other pipelines that do canary builds by picking up the
> > latest **release** of a artifacts/plugins in order to do bleeding edge
> > testing in our pipelines. And that is also discounting the ability once it
> > is in our mirror for things to accidentally depend on these releases.
> >
> I must confess I had missed reading related IEP-9 when reading JEP-305. I
> do agree releases should normally be kept basically forever.
> Now nowadays Nexus, for one, had added a dedicated Scheduled Task
> <https://help.sonatype.com/repomanager2/configuration/managing-scheduled-tasks>
> clean up also releases "Remove Releases From Repository" IIUC (I never used
> it myself, but did use a lot the other "Remove Snapshots From Repository").
>
> So yes, this shows IMO a pretty usage of Maven, but it shows at least
> people using Nexus (and I suspect Artifactory can do the same) would
> normally *not* have to handle that themselves.
>
> Now, about the whole artifact collection idea that I had missed:
>
> * I think this part in IEP-9 could be just ditched overall, for now at
> least. As Jesse nicely phrases it below: "until storage costs start to
> raise eyebrows". IIUC what Daniel told me once, as it stands currently:
> anyway we never ever remove *any* artifacts from Artifactory, SNAPSHOTs are
> already kept forever. So I guess the eyebrow would have raised long ago if
> this was an issue. OK, this could grow possibly faster once Incrementals
> starts to get used more and more, we /might/ want to revisit then.
> ** (A possible way to revisit could for instance to better differentiate
> PRs from merged commits, and maybe more aggressively actually clean up
> artifacts coming from PRs).

There is no garbage collection currently implemneted with IEP-9.

There is simply no comparable usage today of our Artifactory environment in
terms of capacity planning. While we may not remove SNAPSHOTs today,
ci.jenkins.io isn't publishing those. And in fact, nothing compares to
publishing artifacts for every single pull request of every plugin (400+),
libraries (a few dozen), and core in ci.jenkins.io.

We're looking at many hundreds of megabytes of data per day uploading into
Artifactory, a hosted solution with somewhat unclear limtis (we basically will
fill it up until JFrog says "hey wtf m8"").

So basically, I'm not concerned with what "Maven best practices" prescribe, I
do not want the expectation to be that incremental built releases are going to
be kept indefinitely. Only so much disk space on the planet :)

Cheers