On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Martin Weber <entenhet...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on the wiki page it now reads:
>
> > Users should migrate to Pipeline+Plugin.
> > Pipeline offers a better way of checking out of multiple SCMs...
>
> This is not true. Pipeline offers a *different* way of checking out
> multiple
> SCMs. With the same branch seen in several SCMs, Pipeline only checks out
> the
> branch from the *first SCM* only.

I'm not a fan of the multiple SCM's plugin.  It has created complications
in places that I didn't want to be complicated.  I use Pipeline to chekout
independent branches from multiple SCM's and it works quite well.  I'm not
sure why you say:

> Pipeline only checks out the branch from the *first SCM* only.

Could you explain further what you mean by that?

I've used Pipeline jobs to perform a checkout from an initial repository
including a Jenkinsfile that defines the checkout of multiple other
repositories into subdirectories in the workspace.  It works well.

I've never needed to put those checkout steps into parallel blocks, though
I'm reasonably confident I can put them into parallel blocks for those
cases where parallel would help.

> In contrast, Multiple SCMs Plugin checks out a branch from *each SCM* in
> parallel. IMHO, a lot of people need this checkout behavior, have a look
> at
> the installation stats [1].
>
> If no one objects, I would request maintainership an un-deprecate it. I
> already maintain the cmake plugin.

I don't object, though I will continue to encourage users that want to
checkout from multiple repositories to use Pipeline rather than using the
Multiple SCMs plugin.

> BTW: I'm always wondering what kind of use case is driving the Pipeline
> multi
> SCM checkout behavior.
>

> Martin
>

> [1] https://plugins.jenkins.io/multiple-scms
>
> --
> E-Mails sollten Text sein, Text und nur Text.
> Wenn Gott gewollt hätte, dass E-Mails in HTML geschrieben würden,
> endeten Gebete traditionell mit </amen>.

Thanks!
Mark Waite