Hi all,

I would like to follow-up on the discussion we had at the previous Jenkins
Governance meeting. There was a discussion
<http://meetings.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-meeting/2018/jenkins-meeting.2018-11-21-18.00.log.html>
about creating a new special interest group focused on the community
onboarding/outreach (or morphing the GSoC SIG
<https://jenkins.io/sigs/gsoc/> into such SIG). There were comments from
Liam, Kohsuke, Tracy, and other contributors. There was also a comment from
Liam about creating an advocacy SIG. I would like to follow-up on my action
item.

Background: Several months ago I have reached out to several contributors
who are passionate about the community development. Originally my plan was
to have a Community Health or Community Development SIG which would focus
on the following topics:

   -

   Attracting and onboarding new individual and company contributors
   -

   Documentation for newbie contributors
   -

   Coordinating community outreach events: GSoC, Outreachy, Google Code-In,
   Hacktoberfest, Jenkins Online Meetups, JAMs, hackathons, etc.
   -

   Facilitating community activities (e.g. helping contributors with JEPs
   and SIGs)
   -

   Community Evangelism (Jenkins Ambassadors, etc.)
   -

   Infrastructure: Community metrics & Co, Hosting/Plugin adoption tooling

There was another discussion about creating a SIG for community outreach
events only. We had a discussion of such plan at GSoC SIG meetings, and org
admins and mentors said that such scope is too big for them, GSoC already
consumes a lot of time. But they are fine with keeping GSoC as an
independent sub-project (own meetings, mailing lists, etc.) which would be
a part of a bigger interest group. This approach would be similar to the
JCasC subproject which is a part of Cloud Native SIG.

Clearly there is interest in kicking-off a SIG (or SIGs) to focus on
expanding and improving the Jenkins community. It could be a single SIG
with multiple subprojects, or maybe a number of smaller SIGs focusing on
different areas of the community work (e.g. Advocacy/Evangelism for
involving experienced Jenkins contributors/users and Community Outreach for
reaching out to new contributors). Or there could be other approaches.

I had a sync-up with Liam to discuss options, and we agreed to start a
thread together so that we could get more feedback and agree on the
approach going forward. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Oleg