Hello,

There is a GSoC proposal on automatically generating the Jenkins REST API
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CYzV_w5SrA-npXEMwTkJ4E2QyJdd2cJm7eDpwhg4XPk>

for core and plugins, from a REST API spec generator like OpenAPI. I can
kind of see this as being possible for future plugins, but for all the
existing code it would be a difficult exercise in extracting the spec from
annotations, source code, and javadocs.

I am trying to clarify the GSoC proposal, and frame it in way that some
kind of progress can be made. Would anyone have a suggestion here?

There has been an effort in that direction by Cliffano with swaggy-jenkins.
Cliffano told me that he reversed engineered the the response model
definition from the HTTP response payload, because in early 2017 there
might have been an effort to move to GraphQL instead of REST. I wonder if
this is still relevant and how it could affect the GSoC proposal.

I also found a closed PR on stapler
<https://github.com/stapler/stapler/pull/121> to make stapler more
declarative, and I wonder if this could lead in some way towards automatic
REST API generation. Is that PR something a potential GSoC student could
take on?

Best,
Martin d'Anjou
Jenkins GSoC Org Admin Team