Hi all,

TL;DR: +1, but also with reservations about GSoC

I definitely support participating in Outreachy, but I am not sure about
doing it during the summer season in parallel with GSoC. We have applied to
GSoC, and right now we have 25+ project ideas, 4 org admins and 25+
potential mentors: https://jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2019/project-ideas/ .
Tyler is right that we could benefit from bringing in more mentors and
project ideas, but I believe we are okay with the current state. We already
have a dozen of active students investigating projects and doing
contributions. If we get accepted, I believe GSoC will be pretty big this
year.

Being compared to GSoC, Outreachy offers opportunities for non-student
contributors to participate. This is a main differentiator from the
community outreach standpoint. OTOH GSoC is much more cost-effective than
Outreachy for the community. In GSoC we actually get money to support
travel grants for students and mentors instead of paying 5K+ USD like it
happens in Outreachy.

Maybe it makes sense to wait till GSoC announcements on Feb 26 before
applying. IMHO we should keep participating in Outreachy anyway, but, if we
get accepted to GSoC, we should firstly target students who are not
eligible to participate in GSoC due to any reasons.

BR, Oleg

P.S: Unfortunately Outreachy is based in US and prohibits potential
students from embargoed regions (Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, or
Sudan), hence here there is no difference from GSoC unfortunately . Also,
non-US national minorities are not eligible. That's a shame for such program