From: jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com <jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com> On Behalf
Of Oleg Nenashev
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 1:20 PM
To: Jenkins Developers <jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Benchmarking Jenkins using Java Microbenchmark Harness (JMH)

Hi all,

You can find the video recording of the demo here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr28UADG1AE

There is also an ongoing pull request to make it a part of Jenkins Test
Harness: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins-test-harness/pull/135

Best regards,

Oleg

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 6:44:38 PM UTC+2, Matt Sicker wrote:

I'm +1 in using JMH and exploring benchmarks of various functionality.
Seems like a good idea, especially with all the reinvented database
functionality implicit in Jenkins and plugins.

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:57 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com
<javascript:> > wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just to facilitate this thread, I am +1 regarding having micro-benchmarking
> support in Jenkins Test Harness. There are many stories related to
> performance degradation in Jenkins, and having a framework could help us to
> have some checks for the critical functionality like permission checks. The
> end goal of the project is to improve Role Strategy performance (which is far
> from perfect now), but it would be great if we could reuse the framework in
> other components.
>
> Tomorrow at 7am UTC we will be doing a recorded demo of the current framework
> state, and everybody is welcome to join.
>
> Best regards,
> Oleg
>
> On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 8:20:14 AM UTC+2, sharmaa...@gmail.com
> <mailto:sharmaa...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As a part of this year's Google Summer of Code, I have been working on a
>> framework for allowing Java Microbenchmark Harness (JMH) benchmarks to be
>> run with Jenkins. The basic framework was implemented in the Role Strategy
>> Plugin through this pull request:
>> https://github.com/jenkinsci/role-strategy-plugin/pull/63 . For each
>> benchmark, a temporary Jenkins instance is created, similar to how
>> JenkinsRule from Jenkins Test Harness does it. The benchmarks are run
>> through a unit test which allows them to be integrated with the normal pull
>> request builds (if required). Apart from configuring the Jenkins instance
>> for test using Java code, I've also added support for easily configuring the
>> instance by YAML files using Jenkins Configuration as Code. The benchmark
>> reports are generated as JSON files which are compatible with the jmh-report
>> plugin. I have implemented a couple of benchmarks for the Role Strategy
>> Plugin which can be seen in the Role Strategy Plugin GitHub repository. I
>> have attached screenshots of these results as visualized by the jmh-report
>> plugin. To make the framework easier to use, I'm also working on running the
>> benchmarks through a Maven profile.
>>
>> To make it available to the rest of the community, I would like to propose
>> to make it either a part of Jenkins Test Harness or a part of new library so
>> it can be used by other plugins and perhaps by Jenkins core itself. I would
>> to love to hear your feedback, comments and suggestions. It would be even
>> better if you could join the project's weekly meetings (Tuesdays and Fridays
>> at 7:00 AM UTC) and help us improve this framework.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Abhyudaya
>> GitHub: AbhyudayaSharma

Matt Sicker