I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to do this. You can't
select Build Now from the Jenkins Infra CI build site (probably to protect
against spam usage which is fair enough) and nor do you have this on
Github. So you need to create a new "event" in the PR as described above.

Whilst it is really frustrating that the build has failed due to no fault
of your own and that this causes a big red cross to appear, it was
explained to me that these builds are meaningless and don't *actually* block
your PR. You can ignore the result of the CI build and merge *if you feel
it is safe*.

What I would like, given this, is for Jenkins Infra CI builds to send back
not a build failure but something like *build unstable* if that is possible
and detect when a build failure is caused by a bad PR or by bad
infrastructure. If a human can read the logs and determine this then surely
it is possible to do automatically. Maybe that would be a happy middle
ground between (what seems to be to me) 90% successful infrastructure
builds and 10% failures unrelated to your PR. What I would do instead is
run mvn clean install locally and confirm the build. And maybe a message to
that effect would be good too.