I can shed some light on the challenges here.

This year's election will run with the Condorcet Internet Voting System
<https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/>, a system pretty much used widely with other
OSS projects/foundations.
As with any software, Condorcet has its limitations which it shares in the FAQ
<https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/faq.html> - basically it is not stress tested
for 6 figures voting and suggests it would be better to have sanitized
email lists for voting.

For Jenkins elections the eligible voter criteria is very inclusive
i.e. Eligible
voters are those who have an account on jenkins-ci.org prior to Sep 1
(See Board
Election Process
<https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Board+Election+Process> and 2019
update
<http://meetings.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-meeting/2019/jenkins-meeting.2019-09-11-18.04.html>
).
Being the massively successful project that it is there are ~100,000
accounts that meet this criteria. In practice some of these accounts are
dormant,bots, etc.
The reality of those who will engage in the election is likely far, far
smaller (3 figures or more would be awesome!).

So what is likely now that we reach out to the potential voter base and
request folks to opt-in to the election in order to receive a ballot. Users
who do not respond are by default opt-out. The expectation is that this
process cuts down the voter numbers but also leaves us with a set of highly
engaged voters. Additionally it would be good to identify this group
for CDF-related
elections <https://github.com/cdfoundation/foundation/issues/13> too.

There are a couple of ways we can do this in practice, each with pros &
cons, and likely we should allow a suitable amount of time for folks to
register.
The original election dates were set out with an expectation these issues
could be resolved beforehand but given folks involved are juggling multiple
responsibilities,things did not work out in a timely way.

I'm sure we'll figure out something practical yet effective and make this
election happen - just not as soon as originally hoped (story of my life
:).

Tracy