I think it would be helpful for the JEP to have a lot more color in
the Motivation section. From the three short paragraphs given there it
is hard to tell what the real use cases for this change are. You are
saying something about a “large enterprise”, but

· Who typically is going to be granted `CONFIGURE` without
`ADMINISTER`, and who `ADMINISTER`? What would their job roles be
called?
· What are the archetypal things you would want to “configure” that
cannot be accomplished via Pipeline-as-code and which today are
available only with full administer privilege?
· What is the threat model of the “administrator”—intruders?
Disgruntled ex-employees? Accidental system destruction? Lazy
shortcuts by well-meaning developers?

> You can make a fine grained permission into a coarser scheme

You _could_, though for the most part Jenkins does not do so. Setting
aside global-scope permissions, there are a ton of confusing and
overly detailed permissions at other scopes today, all of which are
exposed in the common authorization strategies. This is basically
punting on real product design and just expecting the administrator to
assemble a meaningful high-level role on their own or by copying
examples. Most other systems I have used offer just a very short list
of comprehensible roles (e.g.: owner, writer, reader). Jenkins does
have the `impliedBy` system, so you can at least grant `ADMINISTER`
easily, though the UX is poor.

> you cannot effectively break a coarse permission into finer ones (as the
> whole RUN_SCRIPTS / Administer shows)

Indeed you cannot, though `RUN_SCRIPTS` vs. `ADMINISTER` was not a
good example of this—rather it was a case of the `impliesBy`
relationship between these two permissions being nonsensical.