Deprecating via wiki label had the same effect as
https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/removing-from-distribution/ so
that is its replacement at the moment.

This change was announced in
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jenkinsci-dev/t_qgJ4PEOz8/dRLhfM2oDQAJ

FWIW I plan to improve this with a 'deprecated' label and supporting UI
inside Jenkins, continuing the draft work started in
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/4073 by casz, but am currently
limiting myself to one spare time contribution in flight at a time, and the
background build discarders PR is still open…