I thought I replied to this a while ago. Apologies.

I'm also not in favor of having two split projects. It's just confusing for
end users and more likely to be abandoned with only a single maintainer.

My vote is either arbitrarily pick one, or get them to decide which they
want to use as the main repo and co maintain it