On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 9:29 AM Mark Waite <mark.earl.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mark Waite to propose a pull request documenting the web application
> server support policy […]
>
>    -
>       -
>          -
>
>          Many people are saying that “should work” but we don’t test them
>          […]
>             -
>
>             All web containers moved to tier 2 except bundled web
>             container

Not sure if there was a thread somewhere in which this topic was discussed
in writing, but my personal recommendation would be to formally drop
support for running in a general servlet container, so that you could only
use the bundled Winstone/Jetty via `java -jar jenkins.war` (we could even
drop aspects of the WAR packaging not needed by `executable.Main`).

The obvious thing that does not work in other containers is WebSocket
support:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/222/README.adoc#non-jetty-containers

I do not agree that the situation is analogous to the web browser, OS, or
Java support policy. We do not bundle a pretested web browser, JVM, or
operating system with Jenkins (except insofar as the latter two are
supplied by the Docker image).