On Sun, Jan 29, 2023 at 4:52 AM 'wfoll...@cloudbees.com' via Jenkins
Developers <jenkinsci-dev@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the positive feedback!

It was positive feedback about the intention, not necessarily the end result.

> [To] widen the discussion before the act did not seem necessary. Especially
> when such a change can be reversed without problems.

By the same logic, we could dispense with core PR reviews because any
commit can be reverted without problems. Such an approach would appear
to go against the consensus-driven nature of the project.

> Concerning the activities, the remaining people did at least a PR review
> during the last year.

That would make those people eligible to be members of the
core-pr-reviewers team, which has triage permissions but not write
permissions. Eligible members of the core team, which has write
permissions, would be those who have merged or closed a PR during the
last year. Can you see a flaw in my reasoning?

> This is not strictly requiring the write permission, but I don't want to do
> something that could be seen as a witch hunt.

I do not see how it could be seen as that given the explicitly stated
goal (reducing the risk of security exposure), which has been
discussed transparently in this public thread.

> This kind of risk reduction was rarely done in the past, I don't want to be
> too aggressive on that.

On the contrary, the fact that this kind of risk reduction was rarely
done in the past is all the more reason to act deliberately,
conciliarly, and thoroughly in the present: past precedent shows that
our decision is likely to stick for a long time.