I experimented once with a "chroot" environment as a way to have different
configurations on the same Linux machine.  I found chroot to be more
complicated than I was ready to use at the time, but I believe it can be used
to provide different executable versions hosted over the same Linux kernel.

If you need different Linux kernels in addition to different libraries and
tools, then I think you'll need separate machines (physical or virtual).

Mark Waite