Your theory is correct. The git-plugin will list every branch revision,
filter out non-top revision (branches that are fully merged in another
branch) and then build them one by one, oldest commit first.
Once you've built all there is to build, only changes will build.

Maybe you could consider excluding branches that don't need to be built,
perhaps by moving them so that you can exclude them by name.