You may want to first explore the user interface and the available plugins
before worrying about XML files and internal details.

We build a family of SharePoint products with Jenkins, including Debug build,
Release build, automated test with virtual machine revert, and more.  Jenkins
is quite capable of handling those things and will handle them without making
you edit XML files (or even think about XML files).  The Jenkins user interface
and the Jenkins plugins were key reasons we switched from CruiseControl to
Jenkins.

As Alex said, choose the SCM plugin to match your source control.  If you're
using Subversion, configure Subversion as your SCM system.  If you need to push
changes from a Jenkins build back, review the plugins which do that and choose
the one that meets your need.  Source code plugins are independent of the
source files stored in them, if the Subversion publisher plugin works for one
file, it will likely work for another.

Choose the build plugin to match your preferred build tool (we use MSBuild,
other jobs use ant), or use a Windows batch command to run your build.

There is not a Jenkins book specific to Windows or .NET.

The web user interface doesn't offer a way to change the order of build steps.
A key reason for that is you really want your build order controlled by
something that is in version control, called by a single top level invocation
from the Jenkins server.  If you are needing to reorder build steps, you
probably want to reconsider how you're building.  Create a wrapper script in
your source control which is then called by a single Jenkins build step.  When
you need to change build order, you then make the change in the wrapper script
in your favorite editor, verify it works on your local machine, submit it to
source control, and Jenkins will execute your newly modified build script.

Mark Waite