Usually when I see that error it is because the ant task which was trying to
execute the program did not have the attribute "fork" set to the value "true".
The default value for the fork attribute on that ant task is probably to not
fork a new process when trying to run a job.

http://code.google.com/p/jenkins-demo/source/browse/trunk/build.xml includes an
example (in the junit task) which sets fork="no" explicitly.  You need to
identify the task in your ant script that is starting the selenium server and
put fork="yes" in that task.

Mark Waite