If that's what you want, then that's a good thing to do.  I prefer having
"Unstable" mean "code compiled, one or more tests failed" so I gained more
meaning from the "red" / "yellow" / "blue" states of the build.  If you gain
more meaning by having two states, "red" and "blue" for your results, that's OK
too.

I had not considered the case where you truly have no compilation phase at all,
since all the projects I use involve a mixture of compiled and dynamic
languages, with the dynamic languages typically not being invoked until after
the compilation phase is complete.

The cases where I've needed to run MSTest (a few years ago now) also required
that I be able to process more than one MSTest output file at a time, and that
capability was not available at that time (added in version 0.7).  I see that
the capability to process multiple files with wildcards has been available for
over a year, so I'm glad it meets your needs.  Using the MSTest plugin seems
like a good way to do it.

I think the idea of causing your MSTest invocation to return a non-zero exit
code is still a reasonable approach to give you the failure you're seeking when
a test fails.  You might also consider using the MSTestRunner plugin to launch
MSTest ( https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/MSTestRunner+Plugin ) to
see if it has a way to mark the job as failed when a test fails.  Yet another
alternative would be to investigate the xUnit plugin to see if it will give you
the flexibility you want.

Mark Waite