On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:55:24 AM UTC-4, Antonio Terreno wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are occasionally incurring a problem with our builds, basically the
> build process hangs till a timeout occurs while doing git clone.
>
> This problem is affecting us more and more frequent, our jenkins has just
> four standard build, the code is all in git.
>
> If I try to clone from command line everything works fine, the git plugin
> is at version 1.5

I'm not sure what exactly timed out in your setup, but assuming it was
something outside the git plugin itself, I'd bet the problem was just that
the git plugin was taking a really long time to  determine what changed. I
had this problem in my setup.

Our git repository has a very large number of branches and I discovered
that limiting the number of branches the git plugin should consider sped it
up a lot. However, since we needed to be able to have Jenkins build out of
new branches as they are created, this was difficult to manage. I
eventually gave up on the git plugin entirely and now do everything with
direct git commands or scripts which call git commands. Unfortunately, the
git plugin just doesn't seem to be able to scale efficiently to a large
number of branches as git itself does.