On Friday, May 10, 2013 1:23:41 PM UTC-4, Jon Drukman wrote:

> I am looking into using Jenkins as a tool for continuous deployment.  A
> commit to a git repository triggers building of rpms, updating a yum repo,
> possibly triggering production machines to do a yum update, etc.  I've set
> up a test project, and Jenkins seems like it provides a lot of useful
> functionality.
>
> Unfortunately the way our company is set up, we have hundreds of git
> repositories and more added every week (they are all separate ad campaigns
> for various clients).  Some questions I have:
>
> Does Jenkins performance suffer with potentially hundreds of repositories?
>  (As of today, 352.  Most are not changed on a daily basis.  Maybe 5-10.
>  Eventually we may have 500 or more simultaneous active campaigns.)

Jenkins' git plugin performs poorly with hundreds of branches in a single
repository. I haven't tried it with hundreds of repositories, but I
wouldn't be surprised if that also performed poorly. I now avoid the git
plugin entirely and use git commands directly.

> Is there an API to create projects?  Manually adding 352 is not going to
> be a good time.  I can use Fake or something to script a web browser but
> that is distasteful.  Plus we're going to have to automatically add the new
> campaigns as they are created.

There is an excellent API as described in the wiki:
<URL:https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Remote+access+API>

I generate and manipulate projects with Python scripts using
<URL:http://pythonhosted.org/jenkinsapi/>