I'm using Mercurial, which is a distrusted source control.

So you're suggesting using a script, activated via commits to the developer
local repository?

Once the developer committed changes to it's repository,  the script will
build that changes with the latest code, run all the regression
tests, unit test, etc...If the test pass fine, then the developer can
choose if he wants to push his changes to the main repository?