Hi Abhijith,

I think you need to read about chains of trust. Everything that you suggest below is at best hiding what you are downloading from an observer. It doesn't stop man in the middle attacks or guarantee that the contents were not corrupted during transit.

As James suggested all you need to do is convince yourself that Kohsuke's public PGP key is actually his. Once you have done that you can verify that the signed release is actually what Kohsuke meant to release.

How paranoid you are is really up to you. You could just trust the key that is publicly posted by Kohsuke, attempt to verify the key via a web of trust, or even try to convince Kohsuke to meet you in person to verify the key.

Really I suspect that most of that is just overkill. You just need to ensure that you have a repeatable build environment where you have a reasonable level of trust that the software you downloaded is fit for purpose. Many Linux OS distributions (Debian for example) have all of the individual packages are linked back to a widely published central key allowing you to detect any tampering in transit.

The same applies to any commercial arrangements with appropriate software suppliers. You would need to get & trust a public key from them to allow you to verify that you receive exactly what was intended to be sent.

Regards

Richard