To expand on what Bertram wrote:

It appears that the Jenkins Maven release plugin sets a few parameters:

MVN_RELEASE_VERSION
MVN_DEV_VERSION
MVN_ISDRYRUN

I've not tried this, but it may be possible to use this information coupled
with the
email extension plugin to send the appropriate message. Borrowing from the
following:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16685052/how-to-send-an-email-from-jenkins-only-in-a-release

you might be able to send email only when a release occurs as well.

I think you would reference the parameters in your message (or title) as:

${ENV.VAR="MVN_RELEASE_VERSION"}

I haven't tried this yet - it's on my list of things to do this weekend.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/