Hi Jennifer,

> Just to sum it up… whatever process runs as a service will only load
new env values when restarted.

That is expected behaviour, yes.

> The JNLP and JNLP command line options are spawned from the Jenkins
master service, so you’ll want to restart that one after changing your
envs so it can pick up new values and pass them on.

So if the default environment on the slave changes, I need to restart
the slave first for it to pick it up (expected), and then subsequently
restart the master to make it re-fetch the environment from the slave,
which is then written back during execution?

I've had success getting new environment variables accepted by deleting
the node from the master config an recreating them with the same
settings. When the slave then reconnects, the new environment is
accepted (but also sticky).

I think I have also restarted the master at one point and didn't get an
updated environment.

I use a Linux master and Windows slaves BTW.

   Simon