Command line git 2.8.2 is well tested with the git plugin.  I use that
version (delivered through a Ubuntu PPA) on Ubuntu 14.04 for all my
development and testing of the git plugin and git client plugin.  Other git
versions (like 1.7.1) are also included in the testing, but first
compilation and run of unit tests always happens on the latest git version
first.

Mark Waite