You cannot run Jenkins itself on anything less than JDK 7.
What Nicolas was saying was that it is, however, still possible to have Jenkins build with JDKs less that JDK 7 by adding them to the Jenkins configuration using the setting in "Manage Jenkins".

So you need to have at least JDK 7 installed and then whatever other JDKs that you wish to use to perform builds.

Chris Selwyn

On 2016-08-26 12:23, Panikera Raj wrote:
Can you bit elaborate about this,

how cay achieve this, is there any configuration file where I can
specify to use JDK 1.6

-Panikera

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM, nicolas de loof
<nicolas.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

You have to distinguish the JDK running jenkins and the JDK building
your project. You can configure jenkins to build with arbitrary JDK,
using Java installations on global configuration and selecting the
adequate one for your jobs

Hi All,

I have a problem, please do help me on this

First I have installed JDK 1.7 in windows-64 bit machine, then I
have started jenkins, in jenkins i have created some projects
Called Android and I was able executing successfully, But later I
am facing some issue in Android project, so I have downgraded My
Java JDK to 1.6, Here only my actual problem started,

After downgrading java version I am trying run jenkins,
but I am facing blow exception.

D:\Jenkins>java -jar jenkins.war
Jenkins requires Java7 or later, but you are running 1.6.0_21-b06
from C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\jre
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: 50.0 at Main.main
(Main.java:83)

D:\Jenkins>

Please let me know how to resolve this issue. I don't have other
chance to upgrade the Java version to 1.7, I have to use 1.6 only
please help me on this.
your help will be highly appriciated

-Panikera

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAEzR4Zxk8CKY4-zGmPGfve2K5T6RiYb2Oevg2xwcTc7unh273Q%40mail.gmail.com