The git plugin switched from using .gitcredentials to using GIT_ASKPASS
with the git plugin 3.0 release (and the git client plugin 2.0 release).
That change was needed so that we could support authenticated submodules.

If you're willing to explore, you could download the older plugin versions (git
plugin 2.6.0
<https://updates.jenkins-ci.org/download/plugins/git/2.6.0/git.hpi> and git
client plugin 1.21.0
<https://updates.jenkins-ci.org/download/plugins/git-client/1.21.0/git-client.hpi>)
and use the advanced tab in the plugin manager to install them.

The timeout in the plugin might be because command line git is waiting for
ssh to satisfy the prompt.  However, since you're using https, it should
not be invoking the ssh authentication.  Are you absolutely certain that
you created a username and password credential rather than an ssh private
key based credential?

Mark Waite