so my problem has been solved.  the issue ended up being a malformed PATH
setting in the Mac node configuration.  however, due to a bug in Jenkins,
that setting was never active, thus the builds were working fine, until a
Jenkins restart for an unrelated issue caused this malformed PATH
definition to take effect and break the build.

thanks for the ideas to solve.  using GET_SSH_COMMAND led to the real
problem and solution.