(Switching to users ML)
That rings an distant old bell to me. Having no network in the container. I
think I had that in the past. Something about resolv.conf being handled
with the local DNS manager on Ubuntu or something, had to force or override
the DNS to let containers have network access.

What is your host platform? What is the output of docker info/docker
version?