I posted a comment on the JIRA and read through Jenkins source code for a
while, but did not find a way to do it.

I would have preferred a simple job that ran periodically and just adjusted
the number of executors on each slave, but I came up with an alternate
approach.

   - Increased the number of executors on slaves to the max that will be
   needed
   - Created a new job 'hold_executor'
      - Scheduled to launch periodically
      - High priority via priority sorter plugin
      - Limited concurrent threads with throttle concurrent plugin, so a
      minimum number of executors are always available for real work
      - Job runs a script to check for conditions
         - If executor should be disabled, the job sleeps while holding the
         executor slot for a time period then checks again
         - If executor should be freed for real work, the job exits

Not as clean, but it meets my needs for now.