So.. figures once I posted I found a possible solution.  If I set the
group(via cookbook attribute) I get a build.gradle that seems to work,
snippet of rebuild dependency:
jenkinsPlugins([
        group: 'com.sonyericsson.hudson.plugins.rebuild',
        name: 'rebuild',
        version: 'latest.release'
      ])

So I guess my question is, is there an easy way to find the group for all
the plugins that don't use 'org.jenkins-ci.plugins'? I think I can look
in https://updates.jenkins-ci.org/current/update-center.json and find the
group for each plugin. If this isn't correct way to go about it I would
appreciate tips on what I should be doing.
Thanks.
-Maciej