On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Michael Lasevich <mlasev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ahh, "Job DSL",  I remember that. It was a good thing when it was the only
> game in town, but (in my opinion) Pipelines pretty much made it obsolete. Of
> course it is a matter of opinion, but if you are finding Jobs DSL too
> complicated, Pipelines may be just right for you - it removes a lot of the
> complexity, and makes your entire build process far simpler - you no longer
> need a rabbit-warren of jobs, and with MultiBranch Pipelines + Global Libs +
> something like Slack notifications, your devs may not even need to login to
> Jenkins server - just commit code and see notification that the job was
> created(if needed) and build was complete :-) Join the modern age :-)

The big limitation of Pipelines is that Pipelines' Groovy code isn't
actually Groovy. It's a small-ish subset of Groovy that breaks in ways
that aren't extremely well-documented. You can't just import any
arbitrary Groovy code and expect it to work. A lot of folks who are
currently using the Groovy plugin running system groovy or external
groovy scripts will have to do major rewrites to dumb things down for
the Pipeline plugin.

Until/unless pipelines support all of Groovy, it's difficult to
recommend for scripts larger than a couple of lines. IMO, anyway.

Sean