This seemed to work for me:

stage("Testing"){
    node ("VS2013") {
        echo "Substage running on Windows"
        bat "echo user %USERDOMAIN%\\%USERNAME%"
    }
}

I don't know if it was your cut and paste or if you were in fact not
properly encapsulating the stage { ... }. I would have expected a
compilation error and not the error you posted above if that was the case.
There also was a behavior change to stage syntax a few releases ago. Stage
expects a block. Check the release notes,
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Pipeline+Stage+Step+Plugin.
Your bat step was also a little verbose I think. Given that by default it
will echo the output to the console.

You didn't say what versions your running but the above snippet ran as
expected in my latest and greatest 2.35 and all the latest plugin updates.