The source code at that location
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-client-plugin/blob/git-client-2.2.1/src/main/java/org/jenkinsci/plugins/gitclient/CliGitAPIImpl.java#L455>
is trying to clear a workspace before it clones into it.

I like Daniel's suggestion to check for a job which has defined a custom
workspace explicitly as the root directory.  That seems the most likely
cause (to me).

You might also check to see if someone used a symbolic link in one of your
jobs and made that symoblic link point to the root directory.

Mark Waite