I could use gradle wrapper, not used it a lot, but looking at docs I think
it requires me to commit a small JAR file as part for the generated gradle
wrapper files. We have a no binary files in source control policy.

So I prefer to have Jenkins set up all the tooling for me and we pull it
from a local Artifactory repo.

The point of the jenkins declarative pipeline is that you commit the
pipeline jenkinsFile with all this alongside your source and Jenkins does
the tooling side with these tools definitions. Shouldn't even need to set
anything up on the Jenkins slave node (apart from a JVM for jenkins to run
the slave) or have binaries in source control. For some reason the
documented pipeline gradle tool DSL is not working or I have mis-configured
something.

Thanks,
Bill